In order to qualify for U.S. citizenship through naturalization, an individual must have had LPR status (a green card) for at least 5 years (or 3 years if he or she obtained the green card through a U.S.-citizen spouse or through the Violence Against Women Act, VAWA). There are other exceptions for members of the U.S. military who serve in a time of war or declared hostilities.

What do you need to apply for citizenship/naturalization?

Applicants for U.S. citizenship must be at least 18 years old, demonstrate continuous residency, demonstrate “good moral character, pass English and U.S. history and civics exams, and pay an application fee, among other requirements.

Do you need an immigration lawyer to apply for U.S. citizenship?

Many people ask us if it is critical to hire an immigration lawyer to assist them with their applications for naturalization.  Certainly, it is critical in cases where the individual has a prior arrest, a prior criminal conviction either in the United States or another country, if they have a lack of documentation, if they lack proficiency in the English language, or if their green card was obtained based upon marriage to a U.S. citizen and there are problems in the marriage (e.g. separation, abuse, divorce, etc.).

Notwithstanding these complicated issues, we always advocate for ensuring that the individual has the best chance of having their case approved without problems.

How can The Shulman Law Group help you?

At The Shulman Law Group, our immigration attorneys take tremendous pride in helping our clients become U.S. citizens. This includes:

  • Preparing their citizenship/naturalization applications
  • Acquiring all required documentation
  • Accompanying them to their citizenship interview appointments

Our office is highly efficient and take great care when submitting applications on behalf of our clients to ensure that there are no errors or rejections.